.Please find below an update on the reopening of a number of our Household Recycling Centres (HRC’s) from Monday 11 May.
We will be communicating the following information to the public at 12pm today and I would like to ask that you do not communicate this information until then.
We will be opening 7 of the 11 sites and these are:
* Bromsgrove (Quantry Lane)
* Malvern (Newlands)
* Pershore (Hill & Moor)
* Redditch (Crossgates)
* Stourport (Bonemill)
* Worcester (Bilford Road
This recognises the additional resourcing required to operate the sites in line with the new requirements, e.g. social distancing.
It is important to note that journeys to HRCs must only be undertaken if your waste or recycling cannot be stored at home safely or disposed of safely by other means.
I need your help to try and get the message to residents that this means they should only be visiting if the waste cannot be stored at their home without causing risk of injury, health or harm. There is no other reason the journey will be considered a legitimate purpose for travel. If the waste can be temporarily stored, recycled or disposed of in a way that does not pose a risk to safety or human health, then this should be done.
We are encouraging residents to check the website for full details of the social distancing measures, opening times and other restrictions before they visit the HRC. These measures include a ‘one in, one out’ access policy, no staff assistance to remove items from vehicles so those visiting need to be able to remove their own waste, and additional services such as compost sales and charity reuse points will be closed until further notice.
We expect the sites to be very busy so residents may have to queue for a long time before they are able to access the site as only a limited number of cars will be allowed at any one time . We will have traffic management in place where possible and will monitor this to try and keep disruption to the network to a minimum. We also have included at the bottom of this email the detail that we will be putting on the website, www.letswasteless.com<http://www.letswasteless.com>, at 12pm. This will give you a good overview of what we have put in place.
If you have any questions, let me know. Please communicate this to your Parish Councils. Your Borough and Town councils will be informed.
Thank you for your assistance throughout this very awkward time. Keep safe – Keep well.
1. Do not visit the HRC unless it is ESSENTIAL for you to do so.
* Essential means you must only visit if your waste or recycling cannot be stored at home safely or disposed of safely by other means.
§ By this we mean the waste cannot be stored without causing risk of injury, health or harm. There is no other reason the journey will be considered a legitimate purpose for travel. If you can temporarily store your waste or recycling in a way that does not pose a risk to yours or others safety or human health, then you must do so.
* DO NOT visit the site if you or a member of your household are unwell, as you should be following the Government guidance on self isolation.
1. Social distancing measures will be put into place at each of the sites:
* Only a limited number of residents will be allowed on site at any one time.
* A ‘supermarket style’ system will be implemented, with a ‘one out, one in’ access policy.
* No assistance will be provided on site so only load items you can unload yourself.
* No walking in of waste will be allowed.
* No soil improver / compost sales.
* No reuse charity drop off points.
* Alternate parking spaces / bays will be blocked off.
* Access to each skip would be by one resident at a time.
* The deposit of some materials may not be possible if the re-processor is unavailable as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak – check individual HRC webpages for more details
* The Commercial Vehicle and Trailer Permit scheme will remain in operation.
1. We are expecting the sites to become very busy and we would like to ask residents to:
* visit the website for more information on restrictions BEFORE you travel and to check opening times at www.letswasteless.com<http://www.letswasteless.com>
* Keep to the 2 metre distancing rules AT ALL TIMES
* Ideally come alone and wear gloves and suitable footwear (no open toe sandals)
* Stay in your vehicle while queuing to aid with social distancing and wait to be directed to a parking bay by staff.
* Please be patient. Remember that going to HRCs will be different from the way the system operated before lockdown, that safety is paramount and that it will be a while before social distancing restrictions are lifted.
2. Please act responsibly towards other visitors and staff:
* Severn Waste Services, who run the sites our behalf, will not tolerate any form of abusive behaviour towards its staff and will take action against offenders
* If you do not comply with social distancing guidance, you will be asked to leave the site and the site may have to close temporarily.
Cabinet Member with Responsibility for Environment
Worcestershire County Council, County Hall, Spetchley Road, Worcester, WR5 2NP
Tel: 01905 846756
Leave a Reply.